Elder Grayson Stotts

Elder Grayson Stotts

It is better to look up

February 13 2017

This week was wonderful.
I love this work and everything about it. Transfer news is out. I get the
privilege to continue being companions with Elder Glenn. He is a sharp
missionary and I'm happy to still be with him. He has taught me a lot.

We had our area 70 come to us in stake conference yesterday. Him and his
wife gave a wonderful talk about The Doctrine of Christ. It is a never
ending cycle.


One thing I love about Arizona is how beautiful the sunset and sunrise are.
I may even have to say it beats seeing the sunset over the ocean but on a
different level.

Each morning we go exercise and as everyone knows missionary work and
everyday life can occasionally be stressful.

I am reminded of a talk that I was shared with several months ago that had
a big impact on me.

"It is Better to Look Up"

"At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as
a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was
preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the
office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration
Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly
at the floor.

The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door
closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I
recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.

I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever
response inspired confidence in my abilities!)

But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled
and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look
up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he
was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance
spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.”

As we parted, the words of a scripture came to mind: “Believe in God;
believe that he is … ; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both
in heaven and in earth.” As I thought of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ’s
power, my heart found the comfort I had sought in vain from the floor of
that descending elevator.

Since then I have pondered this experience and the role of prophets. I was
burdened and my head was down. As the prophet spoke, I looked to him. He
redirected my focus to look up to God, where I could be healed and
strengthened through Christ’s Atonement. That is what prophets do for us.
They lead us to God.

I testify that President Monson is not only a prophet, seer, and revelator;
he is also a wonderful example of living the principle of looking up. Of
all people, he could feel weighed down by his responsibilities. Instead, he
exercises great faith and is filled with optimism, wisdom, and love for
others. His attitude is one of “can do” and “will do.” He trusts the Lord
and relies on Him for strength, and the Lord blesses him.

Experience has taught me that if we, like President Monson, exercise our
faith and look to God for help, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens
of life. We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or
need to do. We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled with
peace and joy. We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is
not of eternal significance—and if it is, the Lord will help us. But we
must have the faith to look up and the courage to follow His direction."
I too know this is true. At all times as we continue to look up we are
reminded of Gods love and direction for us in our own lives. We have a
living prophet who guides us today.
So that is my commitment for all of you. At any point in your day this next
week that you feel down or stressed remember to look up. How could you ever
be down when looking at the heavens above?

I love you all!
Have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment