It's the start of a new transfer!
I look forward to this next transfer. It will be a good one! Elder
Jackson is still my companion and we still cover the full asl area. He
will leave at the end of this transfer and our mission did not give us
an English missionary this transfer and the new trainees arrive in
September which means that I will be 8 weeks with possibly an English
missionary and will have to teach him sign then either he will help me
train the 3 new missionaries or I will be training them all. It's
really just up to our new mission president what happens so we will
see what he says in the coming weeks.
This week was a good one! It was in the 110s almost all week. This
week it is finally starting to become usual summer weather. It's in
the 80s 90s at night and when we wake up then it hits 100 later in the
morning and only goes up from there.
On Monday we had pday and visited some less active members
On Tuesday we were going to find a less active deaf member that elder
Weber gave us the information to and couldn't find his house so we
went to a close church building for wifi and found elder Weber and his
companion. While we were talking to elder Weber he was in His car and
I was standing on the pavement for only about ten minutes then after
we get in our car I could feel my feet burning through my shoes from
standing on the pavement. I remember when I used to think that in
California the 80s and 90s were hot but NOPE not anymore.
On Wednesday we went to globe and San Carlos. A woman from our globe
asl class wanted us to come to talk to her cub scouts about deafness a
little bit and teach them the scout motto in sign language. Them we
went to San Carlos to find our investigator. They maybe might have
moved because they weren't there and they mentioned last time that
they might. The hard part is that there are no addresses in San Carlos
so we would have a hard time finding their new house if they did move.
Thursday
I was able to give a training in district meeting the past week and
the goal of it was to help our district members have more fervent
prayer. I learned a lot about prayer and how we can have better
prayers and a better relationship with our Heavenly Father.
2 quotes I really found interesting in preach my gospel
“The trouble with most of our prayers is that we give them as if we
were picking up the telephone and ordering groceries--we place our
order and hang up. We need to meditate, contemplate, think of what we
are praying about and for and then speak to the Lord as one man
speaketh to another” (Gordon B. Hinckley, Teachings of Gordon B.
Hinckley, 469).
“If prayer is only a spasmodic cry at the time of crisis, then it is
utterly selfish, and we come to think of God as a repairman or a
service agency to help us only in our emergencies. We should remember
the Most High day and night--always--not only at times when all other
assistance has failed and we desperately need help” (Howard W. Hunter)
Then I found and shared these 3 scriptures 3 Ne. 11:3 Helaman 5:30 D&C 85:6–7
I found that the word pierce was common among all 3. I wanted to find
out more about what that meant. When you hear the word pierce what do
you think of? Maybe an ear piercing or a splinter pierced my skin. It
kind of sounds like the word pierce is something that may sound like
it hurts you. But really I look at it as it's something you can't
ignore. It's there and it's recognizable. But you have the choice to
either ignore that piercing feeling or attend to it. That was just
part of what I learned and shared win my district that I found neat
and wanted to share with you.
Also on Thursday we went to a members of a hearing Ward house. We met
him 2 weeks ago at his missionaries service that we were invited to
because one of the ladies we served was deaf. He said he'd give us a
gift so he invited us to come to his and his wife's house. He fed us
lunch and then shared life stories with us that connected to the
gospel. He gave us each this beautiful picture of the Mesa and Gilbert
temple and a few other stories that we can use with investigators or
members. One of the things he gave us too was a marking guide for the
scriptures and a detailed map why we are called Mormons that we can
share with people as well. It helps them understand why we are called
Mormons but really the goal of it is to help them get interested and
helps them accept the Book of Mormon that you used the marking Guide
in. It is a teaching technique and story he came up with before preach
my gospel was given out. It was used in 60 different missions and lead
to thousands of convert baptisms. I want to share it with you all and
have you all use the marking guide and read it. He promised us if we
did it for ourselves we would have a spiritual experience. So you try
it.
So we started the mentoring program last week the same one that I went
though with the 3 new missionaries that will be coming in September. I
got assigned to online mentor the future Elder Mathis. On Thursday
night I got to Skype him. He is very cool and I look forward to
meeting him. He seems very excited and diligent to get here. Elder
Weber and Jackson mentor the two others.
Then Friday we helped some members move out and had a good turn out
for our asl class in globe again.
And on Saturday we helped other members move to a different apartment near by.
Sunday was church and and during studies we used our car as an oven to
cook some cookies that turned out pretty well. #Arizonaperks no gas
required
Then on Monday I went to a choir practice because this is our mission
president's last MLC before he goes home July 1st and we will sing to
him and his wife and now I get to start going to that meeting now. And
we had a fhe with members out in maricopa last night which was very
good.
I know this is the work of salvation. I know that as we are more
grateful we can recognize all the blessings more in our life. I know
that families can be forever. I know that the savior suffered for our
sins so we can be able to repent and improve ourselves each day.
Love y'all
Have a fantastic week.
-Try this
No comments:
Post a Comment